BLUEBERRY CAKE




This cake is one of my all time faves. Thanks to Kat, a colleague from a long ago job, who shared this recipe. I still have the photocopy from her magazine or maybe it was a book. It wasn't even the best photocopy - I had to handwrite some of the measurements, because the end of the page got truncated. Yes, that recipe is from about 15 years ago. I wonder where Kat is today. 

Ingredients
2 cups plus 2 tablespoons sifted all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/4 cups fresh blueberries or 1 12 oz package of frozen blueberries, thawed and drained
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup light cream (I tend to use sour cream)
1/4 tsp nutmeg

1. Preheat the oven to 350F. Lightly grease a 13 x 9 x 2 inch pan. (I used a bundt pan. I lost the sugar dusted on top of the batter, when I flipped the pan over to get the cake on a cake plate.)

2. Sift 2 cups of flour with baking powder. In a separate bowl, gently toss blueberries with remaining 2 tablespoons flour. Set aside.

3. With electric mixer at medium speed (or with a spoon), cream butter until light. Gradually add 1 cup sugar, beating until fluffy.

4. Then add eggs, beating until very light and fluffy.

5. With mixer at low speed, blend in cream, then sifted flour mixture, beating only until combined. With a spoon, carefully fold in floured blueberries. (I always use sour cream instead of light cream)

6. Pour batter into prepared pan. Dust top evenly with remaining 1/4 cup sugar combined with nutmeg. (I don't use 1/4 cup of sugar, maybe half of that. It is a very thick batter and it is more like spreading this batter into the baking pan rather than pouring it in. I suggest smoothing off the top in the baking pan and knocking it firmly on the table for the batter to settle in.)

7. Bake for 35 minutes, or until cake tester inserted in centre comes out clean.

8. Cut into squares. Serve hot, spread with butter, if desired. (I have never done this. But that's what the original recipe says).






Comments