ONION CHUTNEY (ULLI CHAMMANTHI)


For a few months now, I have been trying to make and perfect this Kerala classic.  The first time was a dismal failure.  I used white shallots and the colour was pale and unappetising.  I knew that no one in the family was going to touch it.  I recouped that disaster by adding a few more ingredients and the family fell upon it. I knew however, that it was not ulli chammanthi.  

Since then, I have consulted with my friends, who make this more often and decided to use this recipe. In my mind, I hear the dissenting voices of purists, saying that my recipe is a modern innovation and that ulli chammanthi does not have any tomato in it and should only be prepared using coconut oil.  That I am a mere Mapla (Muslim of Malabar) and how can I pretend to authentically reproduce what is traditionally made in Hindu househoulds?  To them I say, that this recipe comes from a Hindu family and has been passed down from mother to daughter.  Credit for this recipe goes to my friend Usha, her sister Sue in Bangalore and their dear mother.  

Ingredients

Red shallots - 350 gms (Can use large red skinned onions if shallots are not available.  Make sure it is the red onion variety.  White onions will make this chutney look insipid.)
Chilli powder - 1 tbsp (Kashmiri chilli powder for this recipe)
Tomato - 1 large tomato
Salt - to taste
Vegetable oil - 1 tbsp


Peel and coarsely slice the onions.



Heat the vegetable oil to medium heat.  I used a cast iron pan. Add the sliced onions, taking care to separate the onion slices.  


Sautee on a medium heat, stirring regularly, till onions are glassy.  This should take about 10 minutes.
Add 1 tbsp chilli powder and salt to taste.  


Mix the chilli powder in well.  Sautee for approximately 5 minutes till the raw odor of the spice is gone.  Coarsely chop the tomatoes and add to the onions.


Sautee for 3 minutes and use wooden spoon to mash the tomatoes.


Transfer to a bowl to cool.  Scrape out all the bits from the bottom of the pan in order not to lose any of the flavour.


When mixture is cool, blend to a smooth paste in a food processor.  This chutney goes well with dosa or idli.  It can also be eaten with a roti or used as a sandwich spread.












Comments