CABBAGE UPPERI


I heard on the radio that cabbage is a healthy vegetable to eat, and ran out and bought a cabbage.  When I got home, I realised to my great surprise that I already had a cabbage in the fridge. It's not a vegetable I usually cook. So I was stumped for recipes. My friend Jaya, on the other hand, had several cabbage recipes, which she readily shared. Credit to Jaya for this recipe and and any other cabbage recipes that show up on MavoorRoadKitchen.  For those who are interested in what an upperi is - Upperi and/or Thoran

Ingredients

Cabbage - 4 cups 
Oil - 2 tbsp
White urad dal seeds - 1/2 cup. Refer this link for What is white urad dal?
Curry leaves - 1/4 cup, chopped
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Salt to taste
Coconut - 1/4 cup (frozen grated coconut from an Indian store)
Green chillis - 2 

Finely chop cabbage.  You can cut the cabbage into chunks, place them in a food processor and pulse till finely chopped.


Heat the oil. Add the urad dal and chopped curry leaves.  Sautee for a minute or two.  Don't let the urad dal seeds burn.



Add the cabbage, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, and salt to taste.  Sautee for a few minutes on high heat.  Add a little water. Cover the pan and cook till cabbage is done.

Coarsely grind the coconut and green chillis in a bullet.  Or pulse in food processor.


Add this to the cooked cabbage.  Turn heat up to high, stir in the ground coconut-chilli mixture into the cabbage.  And turn the heat off.  Take pan off the heat to prevent further cooking.  






Comments