ONION CHUTNEY WITH COCONUT (ULLI CHAMMANTHI WITH THENGA)

recipe

My recent post with the ulli chammanthi recipe (onion chutney) alluded to modifications in cuisine.  This recipe truly is a departure from the norm, influenced by my son, who is an inspired cook.  Once when I was making ulli chammanthi, he was in the kitchen and asked if we could add some coconut to it.  I was aghast. This is never done.  There is no coconut in ulli chammanthi.  He was annoyingly persistent.  Tenacious like a bulldog was more like it and as is often the case, he got his way.  He managed to pry away some real ulli chammanthi from me and popped it back in the blender and added some coconut.  The results were delicious.  This is a lesson for me to listen to his culinary instincts, and remember that all recipes were once ingenious innovations.  But for additions and alterations to existing recipes, our culinary heritage would have remained static.  This recipe is specially for my son.

Ingredients

Ulli chammanthi - 2 heaped tbsp (use this recipe)
Coconut - 4 heaped tbsp
Dry red chillis - 3
Salt - to taste


Use shredded coconut available in the frozen food section of most ethnic supermarkets.


Add all the ingredients and blend to smooth paste, using a food processor.  

This chutney goes well with idli, dosa, or chappathi.  It can also be served as a side with a rice based meal.





Comments