Egg Puffs (Mutta Puffs)




My guests loves these puffs and I get requests to make them, from my friends. When I was little, my mother would get mutta puffs from the bakery as a sunset snack for me and my sisters - a delicious something between teatime and dinner. We were poor eaters and this was her effort to get more food into us. One Ramadan day in my Toronto home, I thought about them, and was sure I could recreate it from my memories of Calicut bakery mutta puffs. 

Ingredients

One box of President's Choice Butter Puff Pastry. (This is a Canadian brand. Any other store bought puff pastry will work too)
Onions -1 cup, finely sliced
Tomatoes - 1 cup, cut into thin wedges
Kashmiri chili powder - 1 tsp (Use Simla chili powder if you like them very spicy or add black pepper)
Turmeric - 1/4 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil - 2 tbsp
9 eggs - boiled, peeled and  cut into halves.


This box contains two sheets of pastry, which will make 18 egg puffs. If pastry comes in a block, roll out to about 5mm thickness. If frozen, thaw pastry in the fridge. Please follow instructions on your box of pastry. It is best to work with cold puff pastry.

Heat the oil. Sautee the sliced onions till they start to look glassy. 


Add the tomatoes, chili powder, turmeric and salt. Fry till the tomatoes are soft and mushy, like in the picture below.  Transfer mixture to a bowl to cool. If mixture is still warm when you start to make the egg puffs, it will alter the texture of the pastry.  If you are pressed for time, spread the mixture out in a plate and put it in the freezer to cool fast.


Remove a sheet of pastry from the box and cut into nine squares. If your sheet of pastry gives you squares that are too small, lightly roll them them out to make them larger.


Use a teaspoonful of the onion-tomato mixture and spread out in the middle of each pastry square. Place one piece of halved boiled egg on top of the mixture, diagonally across the pastry.


Pull up two corners of the pastry to meet, and then the other two corners, and seal the edges as in the picture below. I suggest using a flour and water paste to seal the pastry, so that puffs do not open in the oven.



Bake in a preheated 425F oven for 10 minutes. Turn puffs over and bake for another 8-10 minutes. (NOTE - use the baking instructions on your box of puff pastry). Let the puffs cool on a cooling rack. 



Serve with ketchup or a dip made with ketchup and hot sauce/Sriracha. My personal favorite is Maggi Hot and Sweet Sauce.

Comments